The University of Western Ontario
This years Canadian Space Summit is being hosted by the University of Western Ontario's Centre for Planetary Science and Exploration (CPSX) and features a notable group of speakers, both Canadian and international.
The summit is being held in London between November 14th to 16th with early registration closing at the end of the day on October 15th.
The theme this year is Bridging Communities: Unifying the Canadian Space Sector. Some of the notable speakers include:
- Bonnie Schmidt, Let's Talk Science
- James Drummond, Canada Research Chair in Remote Sounding of Atmospheres
- Perry Edmundson, COMDEV
- Gordon Osinski, University of Western Ontario
- Dr. Jack Mustard, Professor, Brown University, Deputy PI of the CRISM instrument on the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter
- Dr. Dave Beaty, Chief Scientist, Mars Exploration Directorate, NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory
- Pascale Ehrenfreund, Research Professor of Space Policy and International Affairs, Chair of the Panel on Exploration of the COSPAR
- Dr. Pete Worden, NASA Ames Center Director
The Banquet speaker is Dr. Peter Smith, Principal Investigator for the 2008 Phoenix Mission to the Martian Arctic. He is a Professor of Planetary Science and the Thomas R. Brown Distinguished Chair of Integrated Science at the University of Arizona's Lunar and Planetary Laboratory.
Also participating is former Senator and Apollo 17 astronaut Dr. Harrison "Jack" Schmitt who will participate in a panel discussion on the Future of Human Exploration. Dr. Schmitt will also be the keynote speaker for the 9th CPSX Annual Planetary Science Distinguished Public Lecture.
The three day summit is organized in the following sessions:
- Technologies and techniques for Space and Earth Exploration
- Space Learning and Awareness
- New Discoveries - Missions
- New Discoveries - Analogues and Astromaterials
- Organization and Enabling Activities
- Micro-Exploration: Space Exploration on a Shoestring Budget
- Service to Society
The summit will also feature a Canadian Space Leaders Roundtable in the late afternoon on Friday, November 16th.
The annual summit, a product of the Canadian Space Society, is meant to bring together the diverse array of people who constitute the space sector in Canada, whether it's the professional or student.
SpaceRef is the media sponsor and will be there to cover the summit. With this years exceptional lineup I highly recommend those interested to attend.